QuickBooks desktop software works relentlessly in the background to provide your business with the best administrative support it requires and holds your records safely for use at a later stage. Once used to the software, it is extremely difficult to deal with it when there are errors such as ‘QuickBooks not opening- error opening company file’. Thankfully though, our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team is available 24/7 to provide instant support in fixing the problem.
If you are one such user who is facing trouble opening the company file, you can try the below-mentioned troubleshooting steps before calling in for help from the Accountinghub QuickBooks tech support numbers.
Before You Start Troubleshooting
- Press the Ctrl key and hold it until the ‘NO COMPANY OPEN’ window pops-up in QuickBooks.
- If the ‘NO COMPANY OPEN’ window does not show, then the problem is related to the program and resolution steps needs to be based upon that.
- If the program opens up with the message, then, check if only one computer is hosting the company file. If not, then close all other computers apart from the main server, and proceed with the troubleshooting to fix ‘ERROR OPENING COMPANY FILE’.
Steps for Fix QuickBooks Error when Opening Company File
Resolution – 1: Opening company file from QuickBooks desktop
- Open QuickBooks and click on the ‘FILE’ menu. Click on ‘OPEN OR RESTORE COMPANY’
- Now, click on the correct ‘RADIO BUTTON’ for the type of file you want to open and browse its location.
- Now, select that file, and click on ‘OPEN’. The QuickBooks will prompt you to pick up a restore location for the file, in case the company file has extensions – *.QBB, *.QBM or *.QBX.
Resolution – 2: Decline automatic opening of QuickBooks desktop windows
Controlling the opening of windows automatically, while operating company file can also help resolve the issue.
- Press Ctrl and hold, to open the ‘NO COMPANY OPEN’ window. Now, click on the company file you want to open.
- Press ALT key and hold it to click OPEN. If the company file opens up, then:
- Click ‘EDIT’ and ‘PREFERENCES’ and select ‘DESKTOP VIEW’
- Now, click ‘DO NOT SAVE DESKTOP’
- Click ‘OK’ to save options.
Resolution – 3: For damaged.TLG and.ND files
In case you have errors in opening the.TLG or the.ND files, changing or renaming them could help resolve the error.
- Click open the Company file folder (where the damaged file is stored)
- Now, right-click on the ‘transaction log-file’ and rename it to ‘OLD.qbw.TLG. The same can be done to the.ND files (OLD.qbw.ND)
- When you open the company file, the QuickBooks software will create new.TLG and.ND files automatically.
Resolution – 4: Shifting the file to a new location
Shifting the company file (which is creating the error) from the ‘NETWORK DRIVE’ to the ‘LOCAL DRIVE’ can resolve the issue. Once it is shifted, the network configuration for the file can be restored.
- First, it is essential to create a new folder on the ‘C’ drive. Once done, click open the folder where the company file is stored.
- Press Ctrl key and hold it to open the ‘NO COMPANY’ window, and click on the ‘Company file (.qbw) and its.TLG extension (corresponding to the file selected)
- ‘COPY’ the file by right-clicking on it.
- Now, open the new folder created on ‘C DRIVE’ and click ‘PASTE’. Check if the error is resolved.
The above troubleshooting steps should successfully resolve the issue. You can also check the properties of the file and if it has the correct file extensions, to help resolve the issue.