This article will tell you how to install QB DBSM (QuickBooks Database Server Manager). The QB DBSM is a feature that lets QuickBooks Server be configured for providing access to multiple users.
In order to fulfill the necessary QuickBooks requirements for optimal performance of the file on a network, the DBSM must be installed and set up in the computer that contains the QuickBooks company files.
- QBDBSM creates Network Data files (*.nd) for company files saved in the host system. If multiple versions of QuickBooks are being used, DBSM must be installed for every version.
- If multiple versions of DBSM are installed, there will be multiple versions of processes, not the software.
- If many versions of QuickBooks are being used, QBDBSM must be installed for every version in a sequence, from the oldest to the newest.
- When the DBSM is loaded for each year, each year’s database service must be running in the background. These services are listed are listed as QuickBooksDBXX in the Windows Server interface. Here XX denotes the version number. For example: 28 denotes QuickBooks 2018 and 27 denotes QuickBooks 2017.
- The QB DBSM adds a user for every installed version of QuickBooks. For example: QBDataServiceUser28 for 2018.
Installing QuickBooks QuickBooks Database Server Manager
-First the installer must be double-clicked from QuickBooks for starting the Installation Wizard. Then, if the computer is connected to the Internet and can download an update, choose Next. If it can’t, choose No, followed by Next.
-Now all open programs must be closed and then choose Next.
-After agreeing to the Software License Agreement, choose Next and then choose Custom Or Network Options.
-Next, an installation type must be chosen:
- I’ll Be Using QuickBooks on This Computer And I’ll Be Storing… must be chosen if QuickBooks will be run on the current computer.
- I Will Not Be Using QuickBooks on This Computer…must be chosen if the computer will only be used for QuickBooks data.
-If I Will Not Be Using QuickBooks On This Computer… is chosen, then a license number need not be provided.
-Once done, choose Yes, Allow Access. Then, the License Number And Product Number must be provided. The numbers can be found by referring to the text at the bottom of the window.
-The, the instructions on the screen must be followed for completing the installation. After installation, the DBSM must be set up.
Updating QuickBooks Database Server Manager
-The DBSM will have to be updated at periods, especially if a new year of QuickBooks is installed or an important update for the current year has been released.
-First, the patch must be downloaded, which is the same for the server and the workstation.
-After the installation of the patch is done, the server must be rebooted. After the server has been updated, the following message might appear on the workstation: “The company file needs to be updated to work with this version of QuickBooks Desktop.”
-Next, users will be prompted for creating a backup. This is necessary as updates can change the database structure.
-Once the backup process is over, users should be able to open the file.
-For accessing the QB DBSM, users must go to Start and then select Programs->QuickBooks->QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
QB DBSM can be used for the following:
- It can scan folders for company files that must be configured for providing access to multiple users.
- It can monitor local hard drives to automatically configure new company files.
For any other information on the QuickBooks Database Server Manager, please contact our AccountingHub QuickBooks Technical Support Team by dialling this toll-free helpline number +1844-313-4856. The AccountingHub QuickBooks helpdesk can provide round-the-clock assistance on any QB-related issue.