QuickBooks helps small and medium business enterprises accomplish tedious day-to-day bookkeeping, invoicing, and billing seamlessly with accuracy. The below steps will assist you in migrating your QuickBooks files from your old computer to a new computer. With the help of migrator tools, you can also move three recent company files to the new computer.
Table of Contents
Ways to Migrate QuickBooks to a New Computer
Two methods through which one can migrate QuickBooks from old to a new computer are detailed as below:
- Migrate QuickBooks with the help of the migrator tool
- Manual installation of QuickBooks.
Migrate QuickBooks with the Help of the Migrator Tool
You can move your QuickBooks file to your new computer with the help of the migrator tool only if you are using the U.S version “QuickBooks desktop” 2018 and above. You can do this as a single user and you should be company admin. You can migrate up to three companies (latest ones) file to your new computer with this process. It is a very easy process and can be completed with the help of the following small steps:
For Old Computer
- On QuickBooks you need to click on the “File” menu, and then click “Utilities” and finally select “Move QuickBooks to another computer”.
- In this step, click on the “I’m Ready” button.
- In this step, keep handy a USB flash drive with the free space of almost 150 to 250 MB, you need to connect your USB drive to your old computer. Migrator tool will let you know about the free space left on your USB drive.
- Once the USB drive is opened on your old computer, you need to copy the QuickBooks data from there and you also need to create a one-time password.
For New Computer
- After performing the above steps on the old computer, you need to connect the USB drive to your new computer.
- As the Migrator tool would not launch itself automatically due to windows security restriction, you need to open and view the USB drive file on the new computer and double click on “Move_QuickBooks.bat”. This action will start the migrator.
- Now enter your one-time password and click on “Let’s Go”.
- QuickBooks will be automatically downloaded, installed, and activated on your new computer.
The migrator tool will be deleted from the USB drive once the QuickBooks is moved and installed. The files will also remain on the old computer; make sure to change the file name on the old computer so that you do not use the wrong file.
Manual Installation of QuickBooks
For manual installation, you need to install the QuickBooks desktop as a normal process on your new computer and enter your product and license info. Your company files would not be copied to the new location automatically, it will have to be done separately.