This article shows what to do if the QuickBooks Point of Sale (POS) freezes when opening on a client workstation. When this problem occurs, users can see the Select Company window but are unable to enter any inputs in Select A Company Data file section.
Causes of QuickBooks Point Of Sale Freezes When Opening On A Client Workstation
- Server isn’t in multi-user mode
- Firewall isn’t allowing access to the server
- The server/client or both are unable to connect to the network
- Users are connecting to an IP address that’s dynamic or changing
- The client workstations don’t have the same Windows Service Pack
Solutions of QuickBooks Point Of Sale Freezes When Opening On A Client Workstation
- The server must be in multi-users mode. Then in File menu, users must check for the option to Switch Company File To Single User Mode or Switch Company File To Multi-User Mode. If the option is Switch Company File To Multi-User Mode, users must click on it and try to connect with the client again.
- If the option is Switch Company File To Single User Mode, users must click on it and then close POS and reopen it and then select File-> Switch Company File To Multi-User Mode and try to reconnect with client.
- Then, all firewall must be configured for providing POS access to the network. Next, the workstation’s access to the network must be tested and the host file edited.
The steps mentioned below can be used to test the network. An IT expert can be hired for completing these steps.
Testing the Network
Step 1: Pinging server for testing network connectivity
- First users must note down the computer’s name and IP address of the POS server. Then, in the POS server, users must click on the Windows Start button and choose Run. In Windows Vista and 7, users must click Start and then select All Programs -> Accessories -> Run.
- Then, in the Open section, type “cmd” and then select OK. This will open the command line window. Users must type in “ipconfig/all” and then press Enter. Then, users must note down the host name from the Windows IP Configuration section. This is the name f the POS server.
- Next, under the Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection, users must note down the IP address, which is the IP address of the POS server. Once done, the window must be closed.
NOTE: The client workstation should be able to connect to the server without resorting to this step. If this step fixes the issue, users should contact their network specialist for figuring out if a network setup issue is not allowing the client to locate the server automatically.
- First, users must find out the name of the server.
- The name and IP address are the ones that was previously noted down by users.
- Users must select Start in the server computer and in the Search field, type “cmd” and press Enter.
- Then, in the command prompt window, type “ipconfig/all” and press Enter.
- Now, users must note down the host name form Windows IP Configuration. Next, users must note down the IP address from the Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection and close the window.
If the host file can’t be seen
- Users must go back to the POS server. Select File-> Company Operations. Then, choose Create New Company and then select Next. Now, users must provide a company name and select Create.
- Then, users must go back to the client computer and find the host file, After the client opens, users must take the steps given below and then return to the original company file on the server.
- Users must double-click on the host file on the desktop and when there’s a prompt, select Notepad.
- Then, users must click the first line following the last listed IP address and then type in the server’s IP address.
- After pressing the Tab key, users must enter the server’s name.
- Next, select File-> Save and then the file must be closed. The new host file must be copied to the etc. folder.
- Then, users must right-click on the host file on the desktop and then choose Copy.
- Now, users must go back to the Computer window, right-click on it and then select Paste. If there’s a prompt that asks if the file is to be overwritten, users must choose Yes. Once done, open Point Of Sale.