The biggest ever cyber attack in the Internet history ransomware named WannaCry stormed through the network, targeting computers running Windows OS that are not up to date, bringing computer systems from various countries down to their knees.
Ransomware is malicious software the locks the device like computer, tablet or smart phone and demands a ransom to unlock it. It hits the device when navigating through various hacked websites, download any suspicious file or clicking on a wrong link. WannaCry malware encrypts the victims’ files making them inaccessible and demands a ransom payments to decrypts them.
Table of Contents
How do System Get Infected with WannaCry
Ransomware is a type of malware comes from two sources Compromised websites and email attachments. Ransomware drops an encrypted wall between a business and the internal data and applications that business needs to operate. WannaCry is an encrypting ransomware malware affecting all the data on files like document, excel, videos and images and QuickBooks POS data files. It is virus code program that enters the system through numerous way like email with attachment, PDF file, on-line games. The WannaCry also spreads through malicious links , infected software, infected external storage media and infects your system.
The attack exploits older version of Windows operating system like (Windows 8, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 ). Users of MacOS, Windows(10/ 8.1 / 7 , vista), Chrome OS or linux, mobile operating system like iOS and Android need not worry as these operating system are safe against ransomware WannaCry with patches.
How to Protect Against Ransomware Virus
1. Precautions After malware attack
- Disconnect the infected computer from the internet or the network.
- No need to update or run any anti-virus on infected computer.
- You should not use infected hard drive on any other computer system and hard shut down the infected computer.
2. Update Windows immediately
- Update older version of window operating system to new versions of Windows (10/ 8.1 / 7 , vista) as these are gift of all versions. One can download new versions of windows (if one is using Windows XP, Windows 8 or Windows server 2003)
- One need to turn Windows Update on (if it’s disabled).
- Users need to defend themselves by becoming cautious towards malicious email attachments and messages.
3. Safety measure against future attack
- Precautions for future attack can be taken by blocking TCP Port 445, which can shield against vulnerability if your system is not patched against OS yet.
- Having patches in new versions of windows doesn’t mean that system will always be protected against malware. Reason being new variation of ransomware has popped up without Achilles heel and Uiwix (bearing name).
- Saving Data in the Cloud for keeping backup becomes mandatory for all the QuickBooks users . If QuickBooks access the only desktop then the virus or any other malware can affect your data and there is chances that one might lose the data. Hence business owner can chose to run all kind of system software in cloud server so there is data file backup on server. This gives the user the peace of mind as QuickBooks on the cloud server is totally safe.
- One can install dedicated ransomware blocker to protect against malware, by installing dedicated anti-ransomware utility.
- QuickBooks have predefined security parameters which can be enhanced as when ransomware threat is happening it gives warning to keep the system secure.
QuickBooks Technical Support Service
Wanna Cry ransomware has been infecting systems in QuickBooks accounting files, tiny databases, and alternative application file sorts. it is horrifying and one feels helpless and defeated as one loses vital QuickBooks files. User can safeguard QuickBooks data by moving the software to Cloud server.
In case user is having any doubt related to ransomware WannaCry, one can get in touch with AccountingHub our QuickBooks technical support team to clarify your doubts and problems at Quickbooks Support Phone Number .