This article deals with the QuickBooks error “Restore Failed Can’t Remove Log File”. When users try to restore data from QB backup files, the restore process fails and ones of these messages appears on the screen:
“Error: Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File”
“Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove log file”
Causes of QuickBooks Restore Failed Can’t Remove Log File
The problem could be due to one of these reasons:
- Users are restoring the backup over a company file that exists
- There are special characters in the company file name
- Users are restoring the backup from a USB flash drive or a network drive
- The file that is restored isn’t a QB backup file
- The file is created in a newer version but restored in an older one
Step For Fix QuickBooks Restore Failed Can’t Remove Log File
The actual reason for this error might be difficult to identify at the beginning and finding the correct solution might require a few attempts. So, the solutions provided below should be tried in the given order to see which one works.
1 : Not overwriting a company file that exists during restore
When users are saving the file that’s being restored, they must go to the folder where the file is to be saved. If the name of the file is the same as an existing company file, a different name must be chosen for the file to be saved.
2 : Removing special characters from the company file’s name
No special characters, such as /\<>!$, must be used in the file name.
3 : If the backup is saved in a USB/network drive, it must be copied to the local system
If the backup terminates midway due to connectivity problem, the data in the QB file could be permanently corrupted.
4 : The file being restored must be a valid QBB file
5 : Restoring the QBB file to the same QB version that was used for creating it
6 : Repairing QuickBooks with QB Repair tool
- If the previous solutions don’t fix the error, the company file might be damaged. It must be repaired using the QuickBooks Rebuild and Verify utilities in the following way:
- First, users must go to QB File menu and then Utilities, followed by Rebuild Data.
- Next, users must go to File, followed by Utilities and then Verify Data.
- At the same time, users should keep in mind that will have to review the QBWin.log and/or the QuickBooks.log file(s) when taking these steps. But the review process might be quite difficult for many users.
Users can also contact the AccountingHub QuickBooks Tech Support Team on this matter.
If the error persists despite taking all the above steps or users need more information, they should call our AccountingHub QuickBooks Technical Support Team at this toll-free helpline +1844-313-4856.