In QuickBooks, there is a policy that the program will only move up every three years. When planning to move an older version to a new version then it is recommended to move or upgrade to 2014. Since you have a QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2011, you’ll have to upgrade it to QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2014. Then, to QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2017 and then to QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020 version.
You can use the trial version to upgrade your program to a new version. With this guide, you will get to know the process of QuickBooks desktop Pro 2011 upgrading to the new QuickBooks version that is 2020 and every relevant information related to this upgrade.
Features of QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020:
Being a small business owner, you can now run your business with an easiest and most productive QuickBooks features and improvements that are done in the 2020 version. Here are some of the important features of QuickBooks Pro 2020 that you would like to know.
- Automated Payment Reminders: Managing each client, keeping track of pending payments, communicating with clients, calculating dues, and so on are time-consuming activities. This is the complete wastage of time and effort. Users can schedule automatic reminders based on the number of days until a payment is due, create email templates and update them while sending emails, and much more with this QuickBooks’s functionality.
- Combine multiple emails: Is it usually the case that each customer receives a single invoice? If you don’t already have it, this feature is your best buddy when it comes to integrating many invoices into a single email for a single customer or job. There’s no need to manually download and attach each invoice; its Send Forms functionality will handle everything.
- Easier Admin password reset: You can now reset your Company File Admin Password without having to submit a big list of information to ensure it’s you! Simply select your email address from a drop-down list of QuickBooks email addresses and enter the token you’ll get to reset your Admin password.
- Collapse columns in reports: Users of QuickBooks can now collapse/hide columns in a report, which is very useful when looking at the total. Another advantage of this feature is that it makes navigation inside the report easier because scrolling takes less time. As a result, the user may quickly retrieve crucial information.
- Automatically add customers PO# to invoice emails: If you work with customers that need to link purchase orders to invoices, make their lives easier by including their PO number in the subject line of the invoice email.
- Enhanced accessibility: On the Bills, Invoice, and Write Check screens, accessibility changes have been made to increase usability for vision-impaired users.
- Smart Help: Press F1 for a better content and search experience, or use the message and callback options to reach out to care representatives
- Payroll status for direct deposit enabled customers: Without having to monitor emails or phone assistance, you can be assured in the status of your direct deposit payroll run.
- Company file search: With the inclusion of a file search option on the No company open page, you can quickly find and open your corporate files.
System requirements to upgrade QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020:
Check the requirements for system to ensure its compatibility with QuickBooks Desktop. Since each QuickBooks version has different compatibility requirements for use with Microsoft Office. So, read these requirements carefully for smooth upgrade process:
- 2.0 GHz processor, 2.4 GHz recommended
- 1 GB RAM for a single user, 2 GB RAM recommended for multiple users
- 2.5 GB available disk space (additional space required for data files)
- 250 MB disk space for Microsoft .NET 3.5 Runtime (provided on the QuickBooks CD)
- 1024 x 768 screen (monitor) resolution – 16-bit or higher color
- 4x CD-ROM drive
- All online features/services (including access to payroll updates) require internet access
Integration with other software:
- Integrates with Microsoft Word & Excel 2002, 2003, 2007, or 2010
- Integrates with Microsoft Outlook 2002, 2003, and 2007 – requires QuickBooks Contact Sync available for free from Intuit websites
- Compatible with QuickBooks Point of Sale version 7.0 or later.
Run on the following Windows versions:
- Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or later), Vista (with User Account Control turned on), Windows 7 (with UAC turned on)
- Windows Server 2003, 2008, Small Business Server 2008
Step by step instructions for QuickBooks desktop Pro 2011 Upgrading to new QuickBooks version (2020):
Step 1: Download QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020 version:
In the beginning, go to the https://downloads.quickbooks.com/app/qbdt/products and search and download your QB versions by selecting appropriate Country (like U.S, Canada), Product (QuickBooks Desktop Pro), and then version (2020).
Step 2: Install QuickBooks Desktop:
Once you download QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020 then follow the steps to install it.
#01: Prepare for the Install:
- Make sure that your system meets all the system requirements
- Save the downloaded file somewhere you can easily find it (like in your Windows desktop)
- Must have the product and license number handy
#02: Install the QuickBooks Pro 2020:
- Open the downloaded QuickBooks.exe file
- Perform the instructions which are displaying on your screen
- Accept the software license agreement and then click Next
- Enter the Product and License numbers and click Next.
#03: Decide which install type is right for you:
You mainly have two options when you are installing QuickBooks, you can either do the Express Install or Custom and Network.
An express is recommended if you are:
- Reinstalling QB
- A first-time user
- Planning to use on one computer (not as part of a network of computer)
To install it:
- Select Express >> Next
- Select Install and once it completes then select Open QuickBooks.
Custom and Network Install:
A custom install is recommended when you’re
- Hosting company files on a server
- Installing QB somewhere other than the default location (such as on a server)
- Setting up a multi-user network.
To install it:
- Select Custom and Network Options >>>> Next
- Select the option that describes how you’ll use QuickBooks
- The Change the install location on your next screen
- Select Browse to decide where to put your QuickBooks folder (Most people put it in their Programs folder)
- Again select Next to begin the install
- When it finishes, select Open QuickBooks.
Step 3: Activate QuickBooks Desktop Pro:
After you are done with the installation, you’ll be asked to activate and update it.
If you upgrade QB to a newer version (2020), you’ll also need to upgrade your company files. The below steps help you to upgrade your older company file to work in a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop Pro.
Step 1: Prepare the company file:
- First, open QuickBooks original version and then open the company file that you want to upgrade
- Press F2 key to open the Product Information window
- Next, go to the File Information tab
- Note down where you save your company file on your system
- Now, run the Rebuild Tool for company file and this prepares it for the upgrade
Step 2: Upgrade the company file:
When you open your company file in a newer version of QuickBooks, it prompts you to upgrade it. Keep in mind that after you upgrade QuickBooks, you won’t be able to open your company file in the previous version.
- Make sure all users must log out from the company file
- Open a new QuickBooks Desktop version
- if you don’t have a company file open, select Open or Restore Company
- Select the option “Open a company file” and then hit Next
- If you have a backup company file (QBB) instead of a company file (QBW), select Restore a backup copy and then Local backup.
- Now, browse the system for company file then select it and click Open
- Sign in to your company file as an admin user
- Before you upgrade, QuickBooks automatically creates a backup of your existing company file
- You can select Change this default location to save the backup in a specific folder
- After that, select the “Update Now” to start the upgrade
- When QuickBooks finishes then click Done.
You can now open your company file in your new version of QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020. If you keep your company files on a server, you can now move them back.
With these details, you can now easily do QuickBooks desktop Pro 2011 Upgrading to new QuickBooks version 2020. After upgrading, you must open your company file in the new QB version to verify it and also update QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2020 so that you have the latest software release.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: QuickBooks Desktop can be updated automatically or manually. When you enable Automatic Updates, QuickBooks automatically downloads and installs the most recent updates as soon as they become available. Check for updates at least once a month if you opt to do them yourself. Let’s see how:
➤ Close QuickBooks and its company files
➤ Open the Windows Start menu and search for QB Desktop
➤ Do a right-click on the icon and select the option “Run as an Admin”
➤ While on the No Company Open screen, go to the Help menu and select Update QuickBooks Desktop
➤ Now, move to the Options tab and select “Mark All” and hit Save
➤ Look in the Update Now tab and choose the checkbox “Reset Update”
➤ Once you’re all set, select the button “Get Updates”.
➤ When the update finishes, close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop
➤ To install the updates, select Yes and when the install finishes then restart your computer.
Ans: Yes, if you have a Payroll subscription then it is recommended you to download the latest payroll tax table after every latest release update. This makes you easy to process your payroll smoothly and error-free in QuickBooks Desktop. There is a thing, you must keep in mind that your Payroll Subscription must be active.
Ans: Before you begin using QuickBooks, you must first activate it. QuickBooks will ask you to activate it, and you can do so manually by following these instructions:
➤ Open your QuickBooks
➤ Go to the Help menu and select the option “Activate QB Desktop
➤ Follow the on-screen steps to verify all your information.