This article describes QuickBooks Error 1904 and how it can be solved. QuickBooks accounting software allows small and medium enterprises to manage their payments and billing & payroll issues. The software also offers data storage and processing in the cloud.
The error is displayed in the following manner:
“Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register”
QuickBooks Error 1904 Causes
The error occurs if a file is damaged or there’s an incorrect file setting. The error is probably due to a component of Microsoft Visual C++ that’s damaged.
The error also occurs if QuickBooks is installed after the operating system has been upgraded, but the computer wasn’t restarted after the update.
Step for Resolve QuickBooks Error 1904
Some special cases have been mentioned below. Unless they occur, users must run the QB Install Diagnostic Tool.
Running the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool
- First, users must select Ignore on the error message and allow the installation to be completed. QuickBooks must not be opened. Next, the computer must be restarted.
- In case the installation wasn’t completed, the QB Install Diagnostic Tool must be downloaded and run. Then the computer must be rebooted.
- If the problem wasn’t fixed by running the tool, the Built-in Administrator must be activated.
Solution 1: Using QB Install Diagnostic Tool
The QB Install Diagnostic Tool must be downloaded and run and then the computer restarted. Then, QuickBooks must be reinstalled.
Solution 2: Checking permissions and using hidden/built-in Admin account
- First, a Notepad file must be created and saved in the installation directory to check permissions.
- First, Windows + R must be pressed and then Notepad typed in. Then, select Ok. Next, QBTEST must be typed in the file. Then in the File menu, choose Save As.
- The file must then be saved to the installation directory.
- For 32-bit- C:\Program Files\Common Files
- For 64-bit- C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files
- In case, users don’t possess folder permission, an error will occur when the Notepad file is saved. Users must log in as local admin and try to install QuickBooks Error 1904. In case, users are logged in as the admin, they must log in as the Built-in Admin.
Solution 3: Activating Built-in Admin- Know from our QuickBooks experts the exact process.
Switching to Built-in Admin Account
- After pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete, users must choose Switch User. For Windows 8, users must press Windows key and select the user icon that’s located in the upper right section of the screen.
- Then Ctrl + Alt + Delete must be pressed and the default Admin account chosen.
Hiding the Built-in Admin account
Changing security settings of installation directory
4: Installing QuickBooks
Users must first try to install QuickBooks and then log in as the original user.