Table of Contents
This article discusses QuickBooks event ID error 4 in Windows.
When this error occurs, the following message is displayed:
“An unexpected error has occurred in QuickBooks Desktop (Version)”
It must be kept in mind that the events that are shown I the Event Viewer are only for the sake of information and shouldn’t be designated critical. The events must be ignored by users as long as they don’t have any problems in using QuickBooks.
Often the problem is solved by updating QuickBooks to the latest patch or repairing QuickBooks.
NOTE: Updating QB to a new release, such as from QB 2017 R3P to R5P is not the same as upgrading QB to a new version, such as from QB update QB 2017 to QB 2018.
Checking the latest release patch
While keeping QB Desktop open, users must press F2 or Ctrl + 1, which will open the Product Information window, where the latest version and release can be checked.
Downloading and installing QB release updates
When a new release is updated, such as from R3P to R5P, some minor changes have to be made to the database. The changes don’t make the data file incompatible with previous releases.
Step to Update QuickBooks Manually
1: Downloading from the Internet (for US version)
-Users must go to the downloads and updates page and choose the Select Product drop-down menu and then choose their QuickBooks products. Then, users must choose the correct version/year from the Select Version drop-down menu
-Next, choose to Search and then choose to Get The Latest Updates. Then, choose Save/Save File for downloading the update.
-Once the download is over, users must double-click for installing the update and once the installation is over, the computer must be restarted.
The updates can be manually installed across the network, users can do the following:
- Access the install file located on their computers from another system
- The install file can be copied to a flash drive and then to another computer
2: Downloading from within QuickBooks
- Choose Close Company/Logoff from the File menu. If several company files have been opened in QB, this must be done for every file.
- Then, choose Exit in the File menu.
- Next, after right-clicking on the QB Desktop icon, choose Run As Administrator.
- Then, on the NO Company Open screen, choose Update QuickBooks from the Help menu.
- Next, choose Mark All from the Options tab and then choose Save.
- Then, in the Update Now tab, select the Reset Update box. Now, choose the Gt Updates button.
- Once the Update Complete message appears, QuickBooks must be closed and reopened.
- If a message for installing the update appears, users must choose YES. Once the installation is over, the computer must be restarted.
3: Critical Fixes
- Ultra Light Patch (ULIP) is a QB Desktop feature, which allows minor critical fixes to be made without releasing any actual patch. The patch release process continues the way it is: R releases as 2017 R5.
- The steps for applying critical fixes are the same as those of Downloading From Within QuickBooks mentioned above. Critical Fixes must be selected before the QuickBooks updates are downloaded.
Step to Update QuickBooks Automatic Update
1: Downloading and installing automatic update immediately
- Choose Update QuickBooks from the Help menu.
- Then, go to the Update Now tab in the Update QuickBooks window. Nothing need to be changed in the table.
- Optionally, the Reset Update box can be selected for deleting all earlier update downloads. This might prolong the update time.
- Next, choose Get Updates and restart QuickBooks. If there’s a prompt, the option for installing the new release must be accepted.
2: Downloading automatically in the future
- Choose Update QuickBooks from the Help menu and then go to the Options tab in the Update QuickBooks window.
- The Yes radio button must be chosen for switching on automatic updates. Optionally, for sharing automatic downloads with other systems in the network, the Yes radio button must be chosen.
- Then choose Close and the update will be downloaded by QB upon its release.
Repairing QB Desktop (Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10)
- First the computer must be restarted for closing all programs interfering with QB. The company file must be backed up next.
- Next, choose Start and=d then Control Panel. In Windows 8/8.1, in the Start menu, open Search and type Control Panel. Then, choose Control Panel from the results.
- Next, choose Programs And Features and then Uninstall A Program must be chosen, if needed.
- If these options aren’t displayed, choose Programs, followed by Program Features.
- Next, choose QuickBooks from the programs list, followed by Uninstall/Change.
- Now, choose Continue, followed by Next.
- Then, choose Repair, followed by Next and let the Repair complete.
- Next, after choosing Finish, the computer must be restarted if there’s a prompt.
- Users must also download the current QB release and the current payroll tax table (US users only).
- While the repair is on, an error might occur, or a message saying “Files in use” might appear. If this happens, the following must be done:
- Choose Ignore (must reboot the system) and then choose OK. Ignore might have to be selected many times. The repair must be continued.
- If there’s no Ignore button, choose Close. Once the repair is completed, the system must be restarted.
For advanced steps to resolve the error, please call our AccountingHub QuickBooks Technical Support Team at this toll-free helpline +1844-313-4856. The AccountingHub QuickBooks helpdesk can provide solutions to all QB-related issues at anytime convenient to you.