When using QuickBooks, several errors might occur and hamper your work. Among those issues QuickBooks error code 6189 is often seen when users try to access the company file without authorization. However, there are many other causes associated with this issue like damaged company files, missing transaction log files, or windows drive. Let us delve into the below write-up to explore the quick solutions to tackle the QuickBooks error code 6189.
Table of Contents
Reason behind the QuickBooks Error 6189:
- When the QB file is already being used by the user and another user tries to open the company file.
- Corrupt download and the installation is incomplete causes the error.
- When the user is not able to access the folder or file which doesn’t contain read/write permission.
- Unfinished or incorrect installation of QuickBooks that may be due to the error in the Windows registry.
- A virus or malware in the Windows framework results in the corrupted program files in the system escalates the issue.
- Corrupted Windows registry as there can be a possible cause due to Windows registry.
- If the software doesn’t recognize the difference between .QBW file (Organization Document) or .TLG (Exchange Log) file
- Any user sign-ins in Single User Mode from the organization.
- The user is using any pirated or old copy of the Windows, the error can take place.
- If any driver has been deleted accidentally by the user which is specifically required to run the software.
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error 6189:
Solution 1-Reboot/restart your computer:
- “Reboot” the computer which contains QuickBooks software in it.
- Now, locate where you have kept a copy of the original data into your computer.
- If the error is still on your computer, try to restart the computer.
Solution 2-QuickBooks Re-installation:
- Use QuickBooks Database Manager to re-start the installation of QuickBooks.
- You are not required to enter any additional license just to proceed the above-mentioned step.
- Once the installation completes, restart your server. The issue will now be resolved.
Solution 3-Download and QuickBooks Refresher usage:
- First of all download the QuickBooks refresher tool from the trustworthy website.
- Once downloaded now run the utility and start the installation process.
- Wait till the installation completes then check no other task is executing on the QuickBooks.
- Verify and close all the QuickBooks running on the computer.
- Afterward, perform a double click on the executable file to run it.
- It will run for some time then follow the online instructions on the desktop screen.
- Once you finish the installation process then re-open the QuickBooks.
Solution 4-Restore the backup with the help of Intuit Data Protect:
If the issue does not resolve with the above method then restore the files via IDP (Intuit Data Protect). Here are the steps:
- Firstly create a backup of the company file on the old computer.
- Now sign in to IDP on the new system.
- After this use the IDP to restore all the backup files.
Solution 5- Open a sample company file:
Follow the below steps:
- Firstly open the QuickBooks desktop.
- Discover No company open window.
- Hit on Open a sample file button.
- Choose the Random company file.
- Now start fixing the QuickBooks installation files, if you receive any error message on the screen.
- In case the sample file opens then you can continue to the proceeding solution.
Solution 6- Check some additional issues in QuickBooks:
- Make sure you have disabled the encrypted applications.
- Users should try to view the QB issues after restarting the device and server to fix the problem.
- Check the device settings whether it is set on the multi-user mode.
- Now install the QuickBooks Database Manager on the system to prevent the QuickBooks issues.
- Rename the .ND and .TLG extension files.
- Ensure that you have a stable internet connection.
- Check the QuickBooks is on the advanced version.
Locate the folder where you have saved the QuickBooks Data File:
- Make sure that QBW should not be there in any external drive or removable drive.
- If you use any online drive to take backup of the QuickBooks Data, the problem might continue.
- To avoid the issue mentioned above, click on Save on the installed QuickBooks Software.
That’s all for today! Hopefully, the above troubleshooting guide is helpful for you to rectify the QuickBooks error code 6189. Sometimes there might be other technical glitches that pop up the error message. By nature, it is a very time-consuming process to try resolving the issue yourself. Hence it is a beneficial decision of seeking the QuickBooks expert’s assistance to save valuable time and efforts.
Frequently Asked Questions
🗸 Unable to access the company files of QuickBooks.
🗸 Connection loss while opening company file.
🗸 The computer freezes suddenly which create the system to become unresponsive to the ongoing window.
🗸 Unable to fetch the commands to open the essential programs in the system.
🗸 Initially Login into the system with administrator mode.
🗸 Now you have to open the Task Manager window by pressing the Ctrl+shift+Esc buttons altogether.
🗸Afterward, select the user to view all the running processes by all users.
🗸 Now choose all the processes related to QuickBooks such as QBW32.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, and qbupdate.exe.
🗸 Choose End Task.
Ans. You can easily carry out the moving of the entire QuickBooks data folder without any backup. However, this process requires manual file sending. Here are the steps:
🗸 Discover the file location.
🗸 You can press the F2 key for an open file to discover its location from the file information option and for the closed file open QuickBooks Desktop.
🗸 The no company open window contains the file path.
🗸 Give a right-click on the folder and then choose Copy.
🗸 Once done you have to paste the folder on the devices like a flash drive, thumb drive, etc.
🗸 Plug-in the desired device to the new computer, then copy it to the local drive.
🗸 Open the file after launching the QuickBooks.