This article discusses QuickBooks error code 6177, 0. Due to this error, QuickBooks is unable to use the path meant for opening the company file and the following message is displayed:
“QuickBooks is attempting to open this Company file. Before you can open the company file from your computer you must first open the company file on the computer where the company file is located. (-6177, 0)”
Table of Contents
Steps for Fix QuickBooks Error Code -6177, 0
Solution 1: Transferring the company file to the local drive
The company file must be shifted from the server to the C drive; then the file must be opened in QuickBooks. Then, users must create a portable file and save the file in the C drive. After completing this, users must close the company file.
Following this, the portable file that was created has to be restored from the C drive and then saved in the server. Next, users must close the company file and open it via the server.
Solution 2: Using QuickBooks File Doctor
The QuickBooks File Doctor must be downloaded, installed and run.
Solution 3: Resolving 6177, 0 via manual steps
- In case the QB File Doctor can’t be run or users feel the problem should be solved manually, then QuickBooks Desktop must be closed on the computer that has the company file/s. Then the folder containing the company file must be opened and the file with .ND extension, such as MyCompanyFileName.QBW.ND, must be located. When the file is found, users must right-click on the file and then select Delete.
- Once this is done, users must select the Windows Start button, and then go to Programs->QuickBooks->QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Here, users must select the Add Folder button and trace the folder where the QuickBooks Desktop company file/s are saved and then choose OK.
These steps have to be repeated if more folders are to be added. Once this is done, the Scan button must be selected, and once the scan process is completed, users must select Close.
- Now, users have to go to Set Up Folder Permissions to share the company files web page; this has to be done to check if permissions have been set correctly.
The following steps are optional: for scenarios where the entire application has been installed on the serve).
Switching the QuickBooks Hosting Off and On
First, users must select File in QuickBooks and navigate to Utilities and there, they must choose Stop Hosting Multi User Access. Next, users must choose Yes and then close and reopen QuickBooks.
Following this, users must choose Utilities in File, followed by Host Multi-User Access and then choose Yes. After doing this, users must return to File and choose Open Or Restore Company.
Opening the Company File with Local Path
- The 6177, 0 error can also be caused by company files that have been accessed in the host computer using mapped drives. In such a scenario, users have to find out if the company file has been mapped to a network drive. For doing this, Windows+E must be pressed, for opening the window of the computer, which is also known as This Computer.
- If the folder where the company file is saved is in Network Locations or Network Devices, users have to right-click on the folder and then Properties must be chosen. In case the Network Drive is shown as the Type, it’s a mapped drive.
- Once this is done, users must open the company file using a local drive.
Creating a New Folder
- First, Windows+E must be pressed on the server keyboard for opening the Computer window. Next, the C drive has to be selected for creating a new folder.
- If Windows 8 or 10 is being used, go to Home, followed by New Folder.
- If Windows Vista or 7 is being used, the New Folder button has to be selected.
- Following this, the folder that has the original data must be opened. From here, the company file/s must be moved/copied, along with all the component files (such as .lmr, .cfd, .images, etc.), to the new folder. Once this is done, users have to open QuickBooks and then the company file that’s in the new folder.
- The final step is to open the file in the computer where the error was detected.
If the problem persists, or users need more information, they should call our AccountingHub QuickBooks Technical Support Team on +1844-313-4856 for anytime assistance. Our experts are highly trained.