Many users of QuickBooks accounting software usually run into “unable to decrypt the file with the password” error. This sort of error is primarily caused as a result of the impairment in the encryption of highly confidential fields such as credit card numbers, social security or social insurance, and bank accounts.
For speedy resolution, you can contact our Accountinghub QuickBooks Enterprise Tech Support team at our helpdesk number.
Troubleshoot QuickBooks was Unable to Decrypt the File with the Password
Note: Before you proceed to fix the issue, ensure you do upgrade your QuickBooks Desktop Software to the newest release and back up your company data.
Solution 1: Verify whether the QuickBooks Admin user is impaired or not
- Sign in to the company account as the admin user.
- Modify the admin password. To do this:
- Open the Users list.
- For QuickBooks Pro or Premier Users: You need to open Company >then look for Set Up Users and Passwords >click on the Set Up User.
- For the Enterprise Solutions users:Select the Company menu >Click on Users >and choose Set Up Users and Roles.
- Choose the Admin user, after that Edit user.
- Modify the password to a provisional password.
- Choose Nextand click on Finish.
- QB software will again encrypt information in your file. This process will take some time so you need to wait
Note: If QB Desktop crashes when you are trying to encrypt, then try to send your file to Data Services to eliminate all confidential info from the file.
- Exit from the company file: Go to File > look for Close Company and then exit from the program.
- Again open your QuickBooks software and again sign in as the Admin user to finish the encryption process again. To ensure whether the re-encryption process was successful or not, look for the QBWin.log file. For this, you have to follow given steps:
- Open the Verify Data utility.
- Try to find the given below in the current entries of the record file depending on the date or time hallmark after resolving:
- LVL_SEVERE_ERROR–GetMasterKeyUnsuccessful: The decryption has abortive; or
- LVL_SEVERE_ERROR–GetDataAccessKeyUnsuccessful: The decryption has abortive.
- If you don’t experience any of these errors, simply modify your password by repeating step 2.
- If you experience one of the above-mentioned errors, your file has to be sent to Data Services to patch-up the impairment.
Solution 2: Repair broken encrypted fields
You need to proceed further with the given steps resolve thelost or impaired encrypted fields. However, these steps are explicit to credit card numbers.
- Open the Verify Data utility.
- Search for the error notification in QBWin.log.
- Try to locate the QBWin.log and ensure you save the same on your Desktop.
- Do the right click on the file option, then choose Open With >click on the Notepad.
- Pen down the information related to the Customers that were displayed in the record file.
- Revise the credit card number of impacted customers.
- In QuickBooks software application, look for the Customers menu and after that choose the Customer Center option.
- From the pull down list, you need to chooseAll Customers then try to locate the Customer or Customer:Job that is displayed in the record file.
- Click twice on the Customer or Customer:Job to revise, then look for the Payment Settings button.
- Provide at least a 16-digit mock credit card number and expiration date, then choose OK.
- Return to the Payment Settings button.
- Provide the accurate credit card number and expiration date for the client, then press on the OK button.
- Try to do again the steps 3 for other Clientelesas given in the record file.
- You need to run the Verify Data utility one more time.
- If no issues areidentified, then it means that the glitch has been resolved.
- If Authenticationis unsuccessful, you need to again cross check the QBWin.log for clienteles that you have neglected or for other faults that result in the failure of the authentication.
Want to get rid of the “QuickBooks Error: Unable to decrypt the file with the password”? Contact our Accountinghub QuickBooks technical support team member on +1844-313-4856 and get instant resolution for the issue.