This article provides a few solutions for fixing QuickBooks update errors 12002, 12007, 12009, 12029 or 12031. All these errors occur while a payroll or QuickBooks Desktop update is being downloaded.
Cause of QuickBooks Updating Errors
The errors are caused by QuickBooks’ inability to use the computer’s internet connection. Consequently, QuickBooks is unable to figure out the internet connection as the anti-virus application and firewall don’t allow the QuickBooks download.
The errors can also occur when Internet Explorer (IE) isn’t set as the default browser or the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) box hasn’t been selected in IE Options.
Solution of QuickBooks Updating Errors
NOTE: Steps 5 and 6 given below are to be used for checking if any application or process is not allowing the download to complete, and the issue must be fixed. If users are unable to detect if the security software is causing the error, an IT expert should be consulted.
Step1: It must be verified that a secure website outside QuickBooks can be accessed. For example, the sign-in page of financial institutions can be tried. If this is not successful, an IT expert should be consulted.
Step 2: Next, the SSL settings must be checked.
Configuring SSL Settings for IE in QuickBooks
- In QuickBooks, go to Help > Internet Connection Setup. Here, users must first choose the correct Internet connection, followed by choosing Next.
- Then, Advanced Connection Settings must be chosen. In case this option isn’t there, the steps for configuring SSL settings in IE must be tried.
- Following this, choose the Advanced, and then the SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 boxes. Next, choose Apply, and then OK for exiting the Internet Connection Settings
- Now, Done must be chosen for closing the QuickBooks Internet Connection Setup Next, all IE windows must be closed, followed by closing and reopening QuickBooks. Once this is done, users must download the QB payroll update.
Step 3: In this step, it must be checked if is the default browser or if any other browser has been set to be the default one. If users can’t do this, the AccountingHub QuickBooks Tech Support Team can be contacted.
Step 4: The IE settings must be reviewed
- Once QuickBooks is closed, users must open IE and choose Tools-> Internet Options. Then, after choosing the Security tab, the globe icon (at the top of the window) must be chosen for verifying that the security of this zone is calibrated to Medium-High.
- Following this, the Connections tab must be chosen: If dial-up node (DUN) is not being used, users must opt for Never Dial A Connection. But if DUN is being used, it must be checked that the right ISP is chosen. Once this is done, choose OK.
- Next, the LAN Settings button found at the tab’s bottom must be chosen by users and it must also be made sure that the box to Automatically Detect Settings has been selected.
- Following this, users must check that the Use A Proxy Server box has not been checked. In case the Use A Proxy Server box isn’t checked, the whole address and port must be noted down by users. On the other hand, if port 80 is not the port, Use A Proxy Server should not be deselected by users. If port 80 is the port, the box can be unchecked to carry out tests.
- After this is done, in the LAN Settings screen, Ok must be chosen.
- Following this, the Advanced tab must be chosen: First, the Restore Advanced Settings button must be chosen by users. Then, the Use TLS 1.2 must be found under Settings. It’s possible that the options might not be seen in some IE versions.
- Following this, it must be verified if Use TLS 1.2 has been selected.
- Then, the Internet Options window must be closed by choosing OK.Next IE must be closed and then, users must restart the computer. After the boot up, users must open QuickBooks and retry the update.
Step 5: In this step, users must configure internet security, firewall and parental control applications for updating QuickBooks and tax table, sending payroll data. Also, users might have to configure the firewall to allow access to some ports.
Step 6: If the above steps weren’t helpful in fixing the error(s), users must start Windows in safe mode with networking. After doing this, users must try downloading the update again.
Step 7: After restarting the system, QuickBooks updates have to be reset. Then QuickBooks must be downloaded and installed again. At the same time, it must be ensured that the company file is in single-user mode.
Step 8: A repair of Internet Explorer must be carried out.
Step 9: Next, a clean install of QuickBooks has to be completed while in Selective Startup mode.
Steps 5-9 haven’t been elaborated to keep the content concise and readable. If users face problems in completing these steps, they should contact our AccountingHub QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support Team at this toll-free helpline +1844-313-4856.