This article deals with the problem of QuickBooks not registering library files and files in general. If a file setting is incorrect or a file is damaged, the following prompt message might appear while installing QuickBooks:
Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register
Table of Contents
Reasons for Register QuickBooks Library Files Failed Error
The error could also occur while QuickBooks is installed after the operating system is upgraded and the computer wasn’t restarted after the upgrade.
The problem can be solved by taking the steps mentioned below in the given order.
Step for Fix Register QuickBooks Library Files Failed Error
-Running the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
-Activating built-in/hidden admin
1: Activating the built-I admin
- After pressing the Windows key, users must type “CMD” and then right-click on CMD/Command Prompt/cmd.exe and choose Run As Administrator. Next, users must type “net user administrator/active: yes” in the command prompt window and then press Enter.
- If there’s an error, users must type “net user administrator/active”.
2: Switching to built-in admin account
- After pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del, select Switch User. On Windows 8, users must press the Windows key and then click on the user icon that can be found on the upper right part of the screen.
- Next, users must press Ctrl + Alt + Del and choose the default admin account.
3: Hiding the built-in admin account
- After pressing the Windows key, users must type “CMD” and then right-click on CMD/Command Prompt/cmd.exe and then choose Run As Administrator.
- Then, in the command prompt window, users must type “net user administrator/active:no” and press Enter.
4: Changing security settings of installation directory
Consult our QuickBooks experts for details.
5: Installing QuickBooks
Users must first try to install QuickBooks and after installation, users must switch to the original user log-in.
NOTE: If users have taken all the above steps and there are no special cases and yet the error isn’t resolved, users must seek an IT expert’s help for checking the computer.
If users have Bit defender installed
If QuickBooks is being installed on a system that has bit defender, users must add the following to the Bit defender exclusion list:
C:\Program Files\Common Files (for 32-bit machines)
C:\Program Files\Intuit (C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit (for 64-bit machines)
The problem won’t be solved by switching off or disabling Bitdefender.
Error occurs while Adobe Flash Player is being installed
- First, the QB Install Diagnostic Tool must be downloaded and run. Then, Adobe Flash Player must be uninstalled:
- Press Windows + R for opening the Ru window and then type Control Panel in the search box and then select OK. Next, select Uninstall A Program. Then, choose Adobe Flash PlayerActiveX and choose Uninstall.
- Now, the process must be completed by following the instructions on the screen.
- Once this is done, Adobe Flash Player must be downloaded and installed again.
Error Refers to QBversionTool.dll
Solution 1: Using QB Install Diagnostic Tool
Solution 2: Checking permissions and using hidden/built-in admin account
- First, users must create a Notepad file and save it in the installation directory for checking permissions.
- After pressing Windows + R for opening the Run window, users must type Notepad and then select OK.
- Now, users must type QBTEST in the Notepad and then choose Save As in the File menu.
- Next, the file must be saved in the installation directory:
- If the user account can’t access the folder, there will be an error while saving the Notepad file. In such a case, users must log in as local admin and try to install QuickBooks.