This article shows how you can fix QuickBooks error 15101.
Error 15101 occurs while updating QuickBooks or when a payroll update is updated.
Users must be active QB payroll subscribers and should have internet connection for accessing secured websites.
Step for Fix QuickBooks Update Error 15101
Installing a digital signature certificate
- First users must search for QBW32.exe in the Windows Start menu or the Windows File Explorer. The QBW32.exe is located inC:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- In Windows 7, QBW32.exe can be searched this way:
- If QBW32.exe isn’t available in the initial search, users must select the link to More Results in the Windows Search field. Then, in the Next screen, select the Computer icon (A search will be run by Windows in the user’s computer).
- Now, in the search results, users must locate QBW32.exe that has a Type of Application.
- Next, users must right-click on exe, and choose Properties.
- Then, users must select the Digital Signature tab, and make sure that Intuit, Inc. is chosen in the signature list. Next, select Details. Then, in the Digital Signature Details window, users must select View Certificate.
- Next, in the Certificate window, users must select Install Certificate.
- Then, users must keep selecting Next until Finish is displayed on the screen. Then, users must select Finish. Once this is done, the computer must be restarted and then QuickBooks must be opened.
- Then, users must download the update.
Verifying internet connection and QB settings
Verifying Internet Explorer settings
- First users must double-click on the time display located in the system tray.
- Next, in the Date and Time Settings window, users must check the current date and time and change both, if required. Next, select Time Zone and select the correct time zone.
- If the computer is connected to a network, users will have to check if the date and time are correct on the server as well.
Checking the strength of the cipher
In IE 11
- Users must go to the Intuit site and then press the Alt key, which will show the menu bar and then select File-> Properties. Then, under Connection, users must find the number that’s before “bit encryption”.
- In case the cipher strength is less than 128 bit, it indicates that IE has been damaged. Therefore, QB Desktop processes that need encryption from IE might throw up errors while functioning.
Updating settings by choosing Tools, followed by Internet Options
- Users must select Tools, followed by Internet Options. Then from the General tab, choose Delete. Then, choose Temporary Internet Files, followed by Delete. Users must not choose to delete the cookies.
- Then, from the Connections tab, choose LAN Settings:
- First, the checkbox that’s besides Automatically Detect Settings must be selected. Then, it must be checked that the proxy servers are blank, unless a proxy server is being used. To do this, users might have to consult an IT expert/admin.
- Then, OK must be selected twice.
- Then, users must go three-quarters down the list in the Advanced tab. It must be made sure that SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 are selected. If they are, then users must deselect the box beside Check For Publisher’s Certificate.
- Then users must scroll to the bottom of the Advanced tab and ensure that TLS 1.2 isn’t selected. If it is, the checkbox must be deselected.
- Troubleshooting in QB
- First users must be checked if their QB subscription is active. Next, the QB Desktop update must be reset.
- Next, it must be checked if the payroll service key is correct:
- First, select Employees and then My Payroll Service. Next, choose Manage Service Key. Now, select Edit and check if the service key is correct. Then, select Next, followed by Finish. This will produce a payroll update.
NOTE: The service key can be found using the service key retrieval tool.
Then, the computer must be restarted.
Ending the Qbwebconnector.exe file in the Task Manager
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open the Task Manager and then select the Processes tab. Next, find and choose the Qbwebconnector.exe file and then select End Process.
If the above steps don’t work, users can do the following:
- Repair Internet Explorer
- Configure firewall, anti-virus or other third-party programs
- Bypass the router by plugging the internet connection directly to the computer
- Reset the router
The next solution is to configure the firewall and anti-virus to make sure that QB files have outgoing and incoming Internet connectivity. Firewalls that haven’t been configured to allow access to QB files can lead to error 15101 while downloading updates.