QuickBooks Desktop may have few Performance issues. Before you try to solve these performance issues, you should try to understand the types of issues.
Step to Fix QuickBooks Desktop Performance Issues
Backup creation aids in improving the performance as it resets the Transaction Log File(*.TLG) which is used to track the changes made in the company data files before it is saved in the database. To create a backup, follow the mentioned steps:
- Select FileàBackup CompanyàCreate Local Backup
- Click on Local BackupàOptions
- From the given options under the heading “Tell us where to save your back up copies”, choose “Desktop”
- Select “Complete Verification” and select OK
- Click “Save it Now” and then hit OK
- From the “Save Backup Copy” window, select Desktop and click on Save button
- Once you hit the Save button, QuickBooks will start creating backup files
Test your Network Speed
You can trial run QuickBooks in a multi-user surrounding to ensure if the network or the company data file is causing the issues. You can test the performance of your Network by following the steps mentioned below:
- Open your QuickBooks application and hit F2 key
- Select your Company under File Location
- Log out all the users from QuickBooks and close the application
- Select Start a Computer a Company File
- Right click on the QBW(Company File) and select Copy and paste it anywhere on your Desktop
- Next, test the performance your network while the file is local by running Disk Defragmentation.
Listed Performance Issues Faced by QuickBooks Desktop
- Performance Issues affecting only a bunch of few employees
- Performance Issues affecting the entire organization
- Your files take time to open
- When working in a multi-user environment, file execution takes longer due to increased number of users signing in
- As the day progresses, the processing speed of the files goes slow
- Performance Issues occur at irregular intervals, sometimes the files run smoothly and sometimes they execute very slow
- Performance Issues due to faulty Network Condition, which damages your data files.
Whenever you use QuickBooks, the size of your Data Files grows. As the data file size grows more and more, you need more and more resources to make them functional. It might happen that the size of your data files grow up to an extent that it becomes out of the bonds for your network to manage these files. In such cases, you need to enhance or expand your network.
To ensure that network doesn’t fail because of expanding data files, you should setup the network with the following recommendations:
- Enhance the RAM of your Computer – A higher capacity RAM is always recommended to handle increasing size of the data files. You can always take support of your company’s IT team in enhancing your hardware
- Storage Drive – Ensure that you are storing your company data files on either a Linux or Windows based server rather than on a NAS Drive (Network Attached Storage Device). This will have a noticeable outcome on the functioning of QuickBooks
- You will get the best resolutions if you have the perfect network setup.
Other than the above mentioned issues, there might be some conflicting programs that might cause performance issues in QuickBooks. These can be some anti-virus security programs or some third party programs causing performance degradation. You can try to temporarily disable them and check if the performance improves.